5700 S Cicero Ave, Chicago, IL 60638
The most convenient airport to downtown Chicago. This is an excellent airport facility. Chicago’s Midway International Airport, is an airport in Chicago, Illinois, on the city’s southwest side, eight miles (13 km) from the Loop.
Dominated by low-cost carrier Southwest Airlines, Midway is the Dallas-based carrier’s largest focus city, as of 2013 Both the Stevenson Expressway and the Chicago Transit Authority‘s Orange Line provide passengers access to downtown Chicago. Midway Airport is the second-largest passenger airport in the Chicago metropolitan area, as well as the state of Illinois, after O’Hare International Airport on the Northwest Side.
Early history (1923–1962)
Originally named Chicago Air Park, Midway Airport was built on a 320-acre (130 ha) plot in 1923 with one cinder runway mainly for airmail flights. In 1926 the city leased the airport and named it Chicago Municipal Airport on December 12, 1927. By 1928, the airport had twelve hangars and four runways, lit for night operations.
The greater Chicago area, featuring Chicago Midway and O’HareInternational Airports
In 1931 a new passenger terminal opened at 62nd St; the following year the airport claimed to be the “World’s Busiest” with over 100,846 passengers on 60,947 flights. (The July 1932 Official Aviation Guide shows 206 scheduled airline departures a week.)
The March 1939 OAG shows 47 weekday departures: 13 on United, 13 American, 9 TWA, 4 Northwest, and two each on Eastern, Braniff,Pennsylvania Central, and C&S. New York’s airport (Newark, then LaGuardia by the end of 1939) was then the busiest airline airport in the United States, but Midway passed LaGuardia in 1948 and kept the title until 1960.
More construction was funded in part by $1 million from the Works Progress Administration; the airport expanded to fill the square mile in 1938–41 after a court ordered the Chicago and Western Indiana Railroad to reroute tracks that had crossed the square along the northern edge of the older field.
In July 1949 the airport was renamed after the Battle of Midway. That year Midway saw 3.2 million passengers; passengers peaked at 10 million in 1959. The diagram on the January 1951 C&GS approach chart shows four parallel pairs of runways, all 4240 ft or less except for 5730-ft runway 13R and 5230-ft runway 4R. Airport diagram for 1959
The April 1957 OAG shows 414 weekday fixed-wing departures from Midway: 83 American, 83 United, 56 TWA, 40 Capital, 35 North Central, 28 Delta, 27 Eastern, 22 Northwest, 19 Ozark, 11 Braniff, 5 Trans-Canada, and 5 Lake Central. Air France, Lufthansa, and REAL (of Brazil) had a few flights per week. Midway was running out of room and in any case could not handle the 707 and DC-8 jets that appeared in 1959; every Chicago jet flight had to use O’Hare, which had opened to the airlines in 1955. Electras and Viscounts could have continued to fly out of Midway, but O’Hare’s capacious new terminal opened in 1962, allowing airlines to consolidate their flights. From July 1962 until the 727 appeared in July 1964, Midway’s only scheduled airline was Chicago Helicopter. In August 1966, a total of four fixed-wing arrivals were scheduled, all United 727s.