Waldorf Astoria, Chicago
11 E Walton St, Chicago, IL 60611
One of Chicago’s newest luxury hotels is also one of its most stylish. Waldorf Astoria Chicago, which was until recently The Elysian hotel, is an Art Deco jewel inspired by the style of Coco Chanel — the drapes are patterned after her dress designs and the casual restaurant on the third floor, Balsan, is named after Étienne Balsan, the man who financed her first shop. With the arrival of the Waldorf Astoria team, expect greater buzz and more awareness of this hidden gem in Chicago’s Gold Coast. The hotel draws from the past with its old-fashioned motor court and antiques while remaining firmly au courant with its crisp gray color palette and slick surfaces. Guest rooms are spacious (there are only 10 per floor) with fireplaces, terraces, white marble baths and tricked-out wet bars. The hotel’s casual restaurant Balsan is sensational and a chic spot for cocktails and snacks. Bernard’s, a handsome bar with wood paneling and leather seats, is located on the second floor. Be sure to also visit the lavish spa, a getaway itself with Greek columns, a mosaic pool and a men’s atelier. Forbes
This stunning hotel was designed after the roaring 1920s. Highlights include lavish public spaces, spacious rooms with exceptional bedding and marble baths with deep soaking tubs and separate shower stalls. Many units include a fireplace and furnished balcony. Smoke free premises. 189 units, some two bedrooms. 60 stories, interior corridors. AAA.
WHAT WE LOVE
- The downtown location near Michigan Avenue and Oak Street Beach puts guests in the heart of Chicago’s best attractions
- The 14,000-square foot spa lives up to its reputation as one of the best spas in the U.S.
- Bernard’s Bar, an intimate bar featuring a beverage mixologist and signature homemade potato chips
- Although it has a historic name, this hotel resides in a new building and features very spacious guestrooms
- The majority of suites have fireplaces which is great during the Chicago winter
- Luxury quality right down to the 400 thread count sheets and non-allergenic feather pillows